Umaabot sa P4 bilyong halaga ang naglaho sa mga residente ng General Santos City at sa mga karatig lugar nito matapos mabiktima ng investment scam na laganap sa nasabing lungsod.
Isiniwalat ito kahapon ni City Councilor Jose Edmar Yumang batay aniya sa 726 na mga reklamong idinulog sa National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) ng mga nabiktima ng investment scam.
Batay aniya sa report ng NBI sa Sarangani/General Santos District Office, may 19 na investment scam ang naitala ng ahensiya kung saan pinangakuan ang mga biktima ng interest payout na 30 hanggang 40% kada buwan.
“These investment schemes have already collapsed, with some reportedly operating for just a week,” pahayag ni Yumang.
Kabilang aniya dito ang 271 reklamo mula sa mga sibilyang biktima ng Pulis Paluwagan Movement (PPM) na natangayan diumano ng kabuuang halaga na P2 bilyon.
Bukod sa mga sibilyan, libo-libong pulis mula sa iba’t ibang lugar sa Region 12 o Soccsksargen (South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani, at General Santos City) ang nabiktima rin umano ng PPM.
May 32 biktima naman umano ng Shantal Marketing na umaabot sa P302 milyon ang naglaho sa investment scam.
Nasa 152 reklamo naman ang idinulog sa NBI mula sa mga biktima ng Alabel-Maasim Credit Cooperation (ALAMCCO), na nagkakahalaga ng P47 milyon habang 32 biktima naman ang nawalan ng P3.4 milyon matapos mag-invest sa KAPA Community Ministry International Inc.
Matatandaang ipinasara ng mga awtoridad ang operasyon ng KAPA at ALAMCCO noong Hunyo 2019 matapos iutos ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte.
Sabi ni Yumang, napakaraming investment scam ang nag-operate sa kanilang lugar at nakapanloko ng maraming residente. Karamihan aniya sa mga ito ay walang lisensya o permit pero nagawang makakuha ng business permit mula sa pamahalaang lungsod, bagama’t ang iba ay nag-operate lamang sa loob ng lima hanggang 10 araw.
“Overall, we’re looking at total investment losses of P3 to P4 billion,” ani Yumang. May iba pa umanong investment scam na wala pa sa kanilang listahan pero patuloy ang imbestigasyon ng mga awtoridad. (PNA)\
Umaabot sa P4 bilyong halaga ang naglaho sa mga residente ng General Santos City at sa mga nakatira sa mga karatig lugar nito na nag-invest
mga kapalit na lugar nito
GENERAL SANTOS CITY — Residents here and neighboring areas have so far lost around PHP2.45 billion from various investment scams that proliferated in the city in the past few months.
City Councilor Jose Edmar Yumang, chairman of the council’s committee on laws, rules and review of barangay ordinances and executive orders, said Friday the figure was based on at least 726 complaints received as of Oct. 1 by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
Citing a report from the NBI-Sarangani/General Santos District Office, he said at least 19 illegal investment schemes have been documented to have scammed residents through promised interest payouts of 30 to 400 percent a month.
“These investment schemes have already collapsed, with some reportedly operating for just a week,” the councilor said in a radio interview.
Yumang said there are 271 complaints from civilian victims of the Pulis Paluwagan Movement (PPM) who claimed to have been swindled by its operators by around PHP2 billion.
PPM, which allegedly operated for some time early his year inside the city police office headquarters here, was reported to have also scammed thousands of police personnel from various parts of Region 12 (Soccsksargen).
Yumang, who spearheaded a legislative inquiry on fraudulent investment activities here, said 32 victims of Shantal Marketing reported losing around PHP302 million from the defunct investment scheme.
But he said the NBI only received 152 complaints amounting to PHP47 million from victims of Alabel-Maasim Credit Cooperative or Alamcco, and just 32 with losses of PHP3.4 million from investors of the Kapa Community Ministry International Inc.
Kapa and Alamcco closed down following enforcement operations last June ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.
Citing the findings of their inquiry, Yumang said they were overwhelmed by the extent of the investment scams that operated in the area.
“They practically sprouted left and right, and duped our residents right in their faces,” the councilor said.
He said most of the entities behind the investment schemes operated without proper licenses or permits but a number of them were able to secure business permits from the city government, with some just operating for five to 10 days.
Yumang said the PHP2.45 billion losses reported by investors so far were only from the NBI and does not include complaints filed with the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).
He said the NBI and CIDG have been tasked to receive and process complaints from investors and submit them to the Department of Justice.
“Overall, we’re looking at total investment losses of PHP3 to PHP4 billion. There are other investment entities that were not on the list so we’re counting around 25 or more that actually operated. It’s really shocking,” he said.
Yumang urged other victims of investment scams to “open their eyes and minds” and file complaints with the NBI and CIDG.
“Don’t prolong your agony. Wait, no more. Fight for your rights. Be a victim, no more. Holding back is not an assurance for the return of your investment,” he said in a Facebook post.
The official said his committee has already completed the three-week inquiry last Wednesday and will make a report to the City Council in its regular session on Tuesday next week.
“We will come up with proper and effective long-lasting city ordinances so that incidents like these, which involve the lives of a number of victims who were gravely devastated and saddened, will never occur again in the history of General Santos City,” he added. (PNA)